Teenage Casualities of Casual Sex
Just a few facts that both parents and teens need to know excerpted from this article:
• This year, 8 to 10 million teens will contract an STD.
• Nearly one out of four sexually active teens is living with a sexually transmitted disease at this moment.
• Nearly 50% of African-American teenagers have genital herpes.
• Although teenagers make up just 10% of the population, they acquire 25% of all STDs.
• Herpes (specifically, herpes simplex virus type 2) has skyrocketed 500% in the past 20 years among white teenagers.
• One in five children over the age of 12 tests positive for herpes type 2.
• Nearly one out of ten teenage girls has chlamydia, and half of all new chlamydia cases are diagnosed in girls 15 to 19 years old.
• STDs accounted for 87% of all cases reported of the top ten most frequently reported diseases in the United States in 1995.
• This new epidemic is not just cursing those “poor inner city kids.” No, the viruses have solidly taken up residence in the suburbs