A.L.L. Calls Cardinal George Award to Fr. Pfleger a Disgrace
I have two words for this: disgusting and shameful.
American Life League Vice-President Jim Sedlak issued the following statement on news that Catholic dissident Fr. Michael Pfleger, notorious supporter of the radically pro-abortion President Barack Obama, will be given a lifetime achievement award from Chicago Cardinal Francis George.
- “For years, American Life League has asked Cardinal George to discipline Fr. Pfleger for his public support of religious and political leaders that cooperate in the wholesale destruction of innocent children in the womb.
- “Fr. Pfleger has a long history of inviting outspoken pro-abortion advocates to speak in his church. They include Rev. Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan and singer Harry Belafonte. Fr. Pfleger caused tremendous controversy with his outspoken support of Barack Obama, the most pro-abortion president in the history of this country.
- “At a time when the Obama administration has shown its complete disdain for Catholics in America, word comes that Cardinal George will present a lifetime achievement award to Fr. Pfleger. The news is stunning and outrageous.
- “It appears that the award is being presented for what is perceived as the good that Pfleger has done as pastor of a predominantly African-American Catholic church in Chicago. Truth be known, Fr. Pfleger is responsible for encouraging the genocidal war against the babies of the very same community he serves.
- “The Catholic Church teaches that abortion is an intrinsic evil that can never be justified. If His Eminence were to act as a true successor to the apostles, then his message to Fr. Pfleger would not be to present him a lifetime achievement award, but rather to warn him that his actions in support of abortion have placed his immortal soul in danger.
- “We ask Cardinal George to refuse to give this award and, instead, use the occasion to proclaim the unfailing truth that the life of every human being is sacred and that respect for human life is the bedrock of all other good works.”