Top Twelve Ways to observe the Day of Prayer for the Legal Protection of Unborn Children
The over 56 million abortions since the 1973 decisions of Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton reflect with heartbreaking magnitude what Pope Francis means by a “throwaway culture.” However, we have great trust in God’s providence. We are reminded time and again in Scripture to seek the Lord’s help, and as people of faith, we believe that our prayers are heard.
The General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM), no. 373, designates January 22 as a particular day of prayer and penance, called the “Day of Prayer for the Legal Protection of Unborn Children”: “In all the Dioceses of the United States of America, January 22 (or January 23, when January 22 falls on a Sunday) shall be observed as a particular day of prayer for the full restoration of the legal guarantee of the right to life and of penance for violations to the dignity of the human person committed through acts of abortion.”
As individuals, we are called to observe this day through the penitential practices of prayer, fasting and/or giving alms. Another way to take part is through participating in special events to observe the anniversary of Roe v. Wade.
Here are twelve ways you can observe the memory of this day in a holy and meaningful way:
1. Pray for those who are trapped in the culture of death, that the veil that covers their eyes and blinds them from the truth will be lifted.
2. Pray that pro-life laws will be passed and lawmakers be elected, who will uphold the truth that life begins at the moment of conception and ends at natural death.
3. Pray for the election of a 100% pro-life President who supports the sanctity of human life with no exceptions.
4. Pray the Rosary for the closing of all abortion clinics – especially for the largest one – Planned Parenthood.
5. Fast from: TV, radio, the Internet, the phone, shopping, eating favorite foods, and other enjoyable activities.
6. Go to Mass and offer it up for an end to abortion.
7. Go to Eucharistic Adoration and spend the hour praying for an end to abortion and the conversion of our country.
8. Participate in any of the many pro-life marches being held across the country.
9. Contact your congressmen and ask them to support pro-life legislation.
10. Pray outside an abortion clinic.
11. Write a letter to your local newspaper about your sanctity of life views, encouraging others to support pro-life legislation.
12. Donate baby food, baby clothing, maternity clothing, diapers, or cash to a crisis pregnancy center.
~ copyright Jean M. Heimann January 2015.