7QT: Summer Saints and Novenas
2. The Novena to St. Anne is the second July novena. Saint Anne’s feast day is on July 26th, so the St. Anne Novena is traditionally started on July 17 and ends on July 25; however, you can pray it anytime. St. Anne (Hebrew, Hannah, grace; also spelled Ann, Anne, Anna) is the mother of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the grandmother of Jesus, and the wife of Joachim.
3. The month of July is devoted to the Precious Blood of Jesus, which is another popular novena for the month of July. The feast of the Precious Blood of our Lord was instituted in 1849 by Pius IX, but the devotion is as old as Christianity. The early Fathers say that the Church was born from the pierced side of Christ, and that the sacraments were brought forth through His blood.
St. Peter tells us: “You were ransomed from your futile conduct, handed on by your ancestors, not with perishable things like silver or gold but with the precious blood of Christ as of a spotless unblemished lamb.” – Peter 1:18-19
In the New Testament, the precious blood is mentioned over seventy-five times. As the Lamb of God, Jesus shed his blood for us on the cross for the atonement of our sins. When we venerate the precious blood of Jesus, we are worshiping the One True God Who so loved the world that He gave His Only Begotten Son to save us from death and to give us eternal life. Thus, His precious blood represents His great love for us.
You can find the prayers for this novena here.
4. July is a wonderful month for celebrating the feast days of saints. On July 6, we celebrated the feast of St. Anthony Mary Zaccaria, a humble and holy man who cared for the poor. On July 7, we celebrated, St. Maria Goretti, who is the patron of rape victims and a model of mercy and purity for youth.
5. July 12 is the feast of St. Benedict, the founder Western monasticism.
6. You can catch me on Relevant Radio on July 13 at 6:00 pm Eastern, 5:00 PM Central. I will be discussing my new book, Fatima: The Apparition That Changed the World, with Sheila Liaugminas. I hope you will tune in!
Have a wonderful weekend!
For more Quick Takes, please visit Kelly at This Ain’t The Lyceum.